ARTICLE I. NAME
This organization is and shall be known as the Hammond Free Library, existing by virtue of the provisions in the Absolute Charter Number 6119 granted by the regents of the University of the State of New York on September 28, 1951, and exercising the powers and authority and assuming the responsibilities delegated to it under the said charter. It shall be located at Hammond, St. Lawrence County, New York, 13646.
ARTICLE II. OBJECT
The object of this Association shall be to organize a Free Library in the Town of Hammond and to maintain the library after its organization.
ARTICLE III. MANAGEMENT
- The business and affairs of the Hammond Free Library shall be managed and conducted by a Board of Trustees that shall be five in number, and no more than seven, elected by the Board members with the advice and consent of the Library Association for a term of four years.
- Regular appointments/elections to the Board shall be made at the annual meeting of the Board. The term of membership on the Board shall be for four years, unless the Trustee shall have resigned or otherwise terminated membership on the Board.
- Vacancies which occur for reasons other than expiration of the term shall be filled for the balance of the unexpired term by the Board of Trustees, Any Trustee who shall fail to attend three consecutive regular meetings of the Board, unless legitimately excused, shall be deemed to have resigned as a Trustee and will be thus notified by the Secretary. The vacancy shall be filled at the next regular meeting.
ARTICLE IV. OFFICERS
- The Officers of the Board of Trustees shall be elected by the Board at the first quarterly meeting each year and they shall be a President, a Vice-President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer, elected from among the Board of Trustees.
- The term of office for the President shall be for two years from the election meeting, with tenure limited to two consecutive terms. Regular terms of all other officers shall be for one year from the meeting at which they are elected and until their successors are duly elected. A person may be re-elected to the office of President after an absence of one year. A Trustee must serve at least one full year on the Board before becoming eligible for election to the office of President. Vacancies shall be filled as in Article II, Item 3, above.
- A Nominating Commitee shall be appointed by the President at the November or fourth quarterly meeting. Additional nominations may be made from the floor. The vote for officers shall be by written ballot if two or more Trustees have been nominated for one office.
ARTICLE V. MEETINGS
- Regular meetings of the Board shall be held in the library. All Board meetings shall be open to the public, and a notice for each meeting shall be posted on the Library Bulletin Board.
ARTICLE VI. AMENDMENTS
This Constitution may be amended at any Annual Meeting of the Association by two-thirds (2/3) vote of the members present, provided the amendment has been presented in writing at a previous meeting.
Hammond Free Library Association organized November 25, 1921. Revised January 27, 1984. Date last review completed February 1985. February 1997. January 2006. Date last amended February 1986: January 1998. January 2006.